Wages don't have to be equal to marginal revenue products. And since paying
people their marginal revenue products is often very unfair -- Michael Jordan
gets $20 million a year and a nursery school teacher gets $20 a year --
an equitable economy requires us NOT to pay according to MRP. But, for
a market system to be efficient goods, and inputs for making goods, need
to be priced according to their opportunity costs. The opportunity costs
of different kinds of labor IS precisely their different MRPs. Otherwise
users will over and under use different kinds of scarce labor resources
that they have to pay less or more respectively than their MRPs. The answer,
of course is to charge users of labor according to their opportunity costs --
that is their different MRPs -- but to pay people according to effort, or
personal sacrifice since that is what is fair and equitable. It is possible
to do this in a planned economy -- and we do it in participatory planning --
but I know of no competent economists who has argued that it is possible to
do this in a market economy.