In the extract I posted, the technology in question was from the 1920s and
the charge came from Fortune magazine, writing only a few decades after
the formation of U.S. Steel.

Under Carnegie, new technology came at a furious pace, so much so that
Morgan and others wanted to buy out Carnegie who was undermining the value
of their invested assets.  At one point, he destroyed an unfinished
factory because he had just learnt of a better technology.

Under U.S. Steel, innovation more or less ceased.  Some of the Youngstown
plants shut down in the early 70s predated World War I.

My point was that the company ceased to have a productionist mentality and
adopted a more banker-like mentality.

 --
Michael Perelman
Economics Department