> From:          D Shniad <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject:       [PEN-L:10445] EU crisis (2)

> The Daily Telegraph                           Thursday 29 May 1997
>
> Crisis over euro after Bundesbank blocks Kohl

To Brother Sid and the Bundesbank Buddies,

You're wrong and Kohl is right.

>  .  .  .
>       The Bundesbank is probably the most respected institution in
> Germany and the idea that it should be humiliated to allow the

Respected for what and by whom, exactly?
(A rhetorical question pregnant with meaning.)

> Deutschemark to be exchanged for the euro would probably prove
> unacceptable.

To whom, exactly?

A new thought (new to me, anyway):  Because the
convergence criteria for Maastricht are simply
impossible, their inevitably ineffectual
enforcement in the breach eliminates one major
argument against the EU.

Yours treuly,

MBS

Max B. Sawicky           Economic Policy Institute
[EMAIL PROTECTED]         Suite 1200
202-775-8810 (voice)     1660 L Street, NW
202-775-0819 (fax)       Washington, DC  20036

Opinions here do not necessarily represent the
views of anyone associated with the Economic
Policy Institute.