Apropos of globalization and NAFTA discussion, a great document
is available at

http://www.ilr.cornell.edu/lib/e_archive/NAFTA/

It is: The Effects of Plant Closing or Threat of Plant Closing
on the Right of Workers to Organize,  Submitted to the Labor
Secretariat of the North American Commission for Labor Cooperation
by Kate Bronfenbrenner, Cornell University

The Labor Dept seems to be sitting on the report for reasons
that are not hard to imagine.  To quote from the summary,
"The majority of private sector employers threaten a full or
partial shutdown of their facilities during organizing campaigns,
and a significant minority proceed to shut down the facility
after the union wins the election."

Reading this, together with Laurie Dougherty's very interesting
descriptions of changes in air conditioner manufacture, begins to
paint a picture of what "footlooseness," to use Bill Rosenberg's
term, may mean.  I still haven't seen a completely satisfying
demonstration of the importance of these changes at the macro
level (i.e. a riposte to Krugman's challenge), but it does seem
plausible that there is deliberate building of excess capacity
on a worldwide scale, making it much easier to switch production.
(If true we may need to modify theories of capitalism a bit; i.e.
capital itself is not scarce and MNCs instead get rents from
control of marketing/distribution, but that's a new discussion.)

Best, Colin