>  I don't like the identification of polemic with testosterone.

Doug!  Lighten up!

Maggie and Elaine have raised important issues.  One of the ways
they raise these issues is with a bit of gentle chaffing.  Of course
polemic per se is not the same as testosterone, but there *are* problems
with the way we men behave in debate/discussion.  If we could not
always take ourselves quite so goddam seriously we might be able to
deal with this better.

You're absolutely right that there's no simple binary flip-flopping
solution from debate to controversy-free nurturant hand-holding, but
that's not what I read Maggie or Elaine as suggesting.

Best, Colin