Right on Maggie, not surprising, you understood completely
what I was saying.  Maybe it's a "girl thing" -- ok, yes,
that is a joke guys.

There is in fact, another action which women (and some
men too take) which is to have "off line," private
discussions.  A colleague of mine (yes, I admit to
having been in computing science at one point in my
life) did her dissertation of computer conferencing
networks, and found exactly what you said Maggie,
that women's comments were ignored, or only taken
up later when some male stated them (without attribution).

Anyway, before the lads get all self-conscious (we should
be so lucky) I was just trying to comment on my
perception about the lack of women's participation
on Pen-L (which I believe is a problem, and yes I do
recognize that I have a role as do the rest of you
in trying to change that).  From personal observation
and past practice I think it is the style of debate.
While I agree with Doug, that there is much worse
than Pen-L, I'm not sure that's relevent.
Do we really want to get into a pissing match about
which conference has the least constructive discourse?

So, what can be done?  Well, you can't change personalities --
mine included, I cut jokes at funerals.  But I guess
it is being aware that written comments come across
much harder and categoric than most people intend.
The problem with computer conferences is that we
write as if we are talking, so it tends to be much
more spontaneous, and loose, and yet, ultimately its
read, so that its taken much more seriously and
without the modification of verbal voice clues that
hints at humor, irony or sarcasm.

Elaine Bernard