On Mon, 5 May 1997, James Devine wrote:

> ....the point is that the US economy has changed and is changing,
> seemingly at an accelerated pace (whereas you had something like that the
> role of exports was stable).

My pocket almanac figures tell a different story (sorry, they don't have
GDP before 1980 so I have to use GNP -- they're very close):

Year      X/GNP       M/GNP
1960       3.8%        2.9%
1970       4.2         4.0
1980       8.0         8.9
1990       7.0         8.8
1995       8.0        10.2

Maybe I'm missing something, but I see a huge jump in the 1970s and a bit
of flailing around since with small upward drift.

> Further, simply the fact that the US has a large economy means that it will
> have a relatively low openness index forever (as long as transportation
> costs are positive rather than zero). After all, in some places in the
> Netherlands, if they buy bread, it counts as an "Import" since it comes
> from Belgium or Germany or France. Whereas if someone in Illinois buys
> something from Missouri (across the Mississippi River) it does not count
> that way.

Granted, and well put.  But I think we may see trade growth level off as
manufacturing continues to decline.  Just a wild prediction.....

Cheers,
Tavis