"The point is that we and our friends control the keys to the clubs and the
treasuries that Kabila will need to tap if he is going to rebuild the
country -- the World Bank, the International Monetary Fund, our development
funds, and those of the Europeans."

 -- Chester Crocker, former Assistant Secretary of State for Africa from
1981 to 1989 and now a professor at Georgetown University, explaining why
the US would still have "a tremendous amount of influence" over the new
government in Zaire, despite having installed and helped to maintain one of
the most corrupt dictatorships on earth in that country for the last 32
years.  (NYT, Saturday, May 17,1997, p.A6)

Name: Mark Weisbrot
E-mail: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Preamble Center for Public Policy
1737 21st Street NW