I few years ago, Harvard gave Ben Cohen, of Ben & Jerry's
an award -- I forget the name of it -- but its an annual
award for "progressive" business leaders (I know, its an
oxymoron, but I just work here).  Anyway, I went to his
talk, and was at the cocktail party/dinner afterwards.
So I used the opportunity to ask Ben Cohen, politely
I thought, what he would do if his workers decided to
organize a union.  He literally jumped back from me and
said, without hesitation that he would be hurt.  I asked
him, why he thought that workers exercising their rights
had anything to do with him (whether they like Ben or not),
and did he really believe that the most ideal form of leadership
is benevolent dictatorship (a good boss).  Needless to say
the Provost rescued our honored guest before I could get
my answers.  Still, I always find it interesting that all
these guys (and gals) in the progressive business community
simply can't imagine workers doing things for themselves
including representing their interests collectively as anything
other than an assault against them.

I've even heard the occasional union leader suggest that
only workers who suffer a bad boss need to organize -- as
opposed to the more obvious conclusion that I would draw
that if we are to be a true democracy then workers should
not only have the right to participate in decisions that
affect them, but have an obligation.  That the default
position of labor law should not be union free -- but in
fact, organized.  And that rather than labor law being a
series of barriers over which workers have to climb to
establish the right to collective bargaining, that labor
law should be a series of barriers over which workers
must climb (with the state certifying that a majority
of workers have freely chosen after a vigorous campaign)
to abolish their collective representation, relenquish
the right to participate in decisons and opt for
individual representation.

Elaine Bernard