>Marshall Feldman wrote:
>
>>Perhaps one should go back before 1980.  Most arguments re. globalization
>>allude to a transition in the SSA/MSR c. 1969.  So comparing 1960 and
>>1997 might be more to the point.
>
>What then becomes the non-globalized Other of this model? The crisis years
>1929-45? The period of nonglobalization ran from 1945, or 1950, to 1969?
>
>Doug

I agree with you Doug.  Capitalism has been a global system since its earliest
days.  The capitalist core has migrated from Italy, to Northern Europe, to
England, to North America, to Asia (is that next?), Etc.  Trade, raw materials
flows, etc. have also been global since capitalism's inception.  The question
is what we mean by globalization and how it's different from other, earlier
forms of capitalism as a world system.  In this, I think most people who
argue the globalization line see cross-trading in manufactured goods as
the distinguishing feature.  Immediately preceding forms of overseas
investment (e.g., GM buying Opel) were to penetrate foreign markets with
manufacturing plants in those countries.  Current globalization involves
investment in overseas manufacturing for purposes of export from those
countries.  This, I think, is one of the distinguishing characteristics
(another is global money flows, and I'm comfortable with the demise of
Bretton Woods as the date for that).

The other issue is how one periodizes history.  This is always problematic
because things don't just start and stop.  I'm sure one can find manufacturing
investment of the sort I described before 1960, just as one still finds
international investment in raw materials.  The theoretical question is when
quantitity becomes quality. The crucial thing in the globalization
argument is that globalization changed the terms of class struggle
in the core countries (or at least contributed to that change).
This argument does seem to make a certain amount of sense.

Marsh Feldman                               Phone: 401/874-5953
Community Planning, 204 Rodman Hall           FAX: 401/874-5511
The University of Rhode Island           Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Kingston, RI 02881-0815