> Date sent:      Mon, 29 Sep 1997 01:35:50 -0700 (PDT)
> Send reply to:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> From:           Ajit Sinha <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To:             Multiple recipients of list <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject:        [PEN-L:12652] Re:culture

> At 12:34 25/09/97 -0700, Ricardo wrote:
> >Yes, Kant is a central figure in the formation of a critical
> >discourse on ethics. I believe he was right to argue that ethics
> >must be grounded on reason, not feelings, otherwise ethics is
> >left open to the whims of the individual. But Kant's
> >categorical imperative is strictly formal, so we have to move on to
> >Hegel...Dostoyevsky is important because a person may very well know
> >what is the moral thing to do, but that person may still
> >WILL against what her/his reason says...That's why we need to read
> >Hegel.
> >
> >ricardo
> ______________
>
> So, back to Hegel! is the slogan, eh? My general sense is that it won't be
> too difficult for a Derrida to deconstruct 'reason' and reveal its
> extratheoretical grounds. Moreover, I think we should not forget Freud. If
> we accept that there is something as unconscious, then morality or guide to
> action built soley on 'reason', which is the realm of conscious, may not
> lead to 'freedom'. Religon and Mythology, from which many traditional moral
> codes are drawn, may have something to do with unconscious. What do you
> think? Cheers, ajit sinha

You cannot emancipate yourself from the dogmas of reason except
through the employment of reason: to deconstruct reason you must
employ reason. If deconstruction wants to make any claims to
validity, it must make claims to truth.

Your comments on Freud need clarification; still, let me say this:
psychoanalysis implicitly recognizes the ability of a person to self-
reflect on their unconscious; therefore it does not (cannot) reject
critical reason.

ricardo