> From:          [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tom Walker)
> Subject:       [PEN-L:12055] Re: Greenspan on Govt. Intervention in Markets

> Greenspan on Role of Governments in Markets:
>
> > ``Central banks are led to provide what essentially amounts to catastrophic
> >financial insurance
> > coverage,'' he said, adding, however, that ``such a public subsidy should
> >be reserved for only the
> > rarest of disasters.''
>
> By my accounting, the "rareness" of such intervention works out recently to
> be about once every two or three years. Then there is the phenomena of
> creeping monetary looseness in order to avoid a situation in which
> catastrophic intervention becomes necessary. Kind of like the alcoholic who
> needs just a *small* drink to steady the nerves.

Funny I didn't take you for a gold standard kind
of guy.

> The truth that Greenspan acknowledges is that central bank intervention to
> "calm" markets is a public subsidy. To be more precise, it is a massive
> welfare program for the rich. To call it "insurance" is a bit odd -- the
> insured don't pay a premium for the coverage and the extent of their
> protection is limited only by the vastness of their holdings.

A chain-reaction of bankruptcies might
conceivably be of some harm to the working class,
notwithstanding the pleasure of watching many
of the rich cease to be so.  I have some dim
recollection of problems of this nature in the
past.

By my reckoning this puts you roughly to the
right of Milton Friedman, but everybody has
a bad day now and then.  I'm sure you'll
rebound, or maybe the right word is reflate.

Cheers,

"Greenback Max"

Max B. Sawicky           Economic Policy Institute
[EMAIL PROTECTED]         Suite 1200
202-775-8810 (voice)     1660 L Street, NW
202-775-0819 (fax)       Washington, DC  20036

Opinions here do not necessarily represent the
views of anyone associated with the Economic
Policy Institute.