> In the spirit of hard-headed science, Max, how about quantifying the
> respective influences of Abbie and Diana? While we're at it, why not throw in
> some multiple regression analysis?

Abbie got people into the streets for explicitly
political, mostly constructive purposes.  You
don't need regression analysis.  All you need
is arithmetic.

> Wouldn't it make more sense simply to say "I like Abbie Hoffman and his
> views/values better than those of Diana?

That wasn't the issue.  I have nothing against
Diana, never have.  Her public elevation to
sainthood is simply without foundation.

> I heard a local representative of an organization fighting to have an anti-land
> mine treaty put in place this morning on CBC radio.  Given your statement, I
> guess there's nothing his contention and that of other folks fighting against
> the use of anti-personnel mines in places like Angola and Cambodia that the
> deployment of these armaments changed drastically in the 1980s, that the
> new deployment was designed to inflict damage and terror on local
> populations instead of targeting armed combatants. Nothing to their thanks
> to Diana's efforts for helping to publicize this fact via things like
> documentaries filmed in Angola with the civilian victims of these mines.

I'm firmly against little kids being blown to
smithereens, and I commend the efforts of
activists in all noble causes, including the
suppression of land mines.

I simply don't believe it means a
god-damned thing.  Can't I do that
without being associated with "inflicting
damage and terror on local populations"?
Call me crazy, but I think the working class
is going to be the agency for curbing the
use of land mines, not the forces that could
be attributed to Diana's activities.

> Since you have declared that any change in the disposition of land mines
> won't have any effect on the conduct of war, etc. I guess that settles it. No
> point in trying to raise public awareness or to change public opinion on the
> subject. In any event, that wouldn't be _real_ social change, would it?

I'm not on any crusade against do-gooders
about whose projects I have skepticism.
But sooner or later we all have to consider
the best use of scarce political resources.
Don't we?

I am struck by the contrast between your
indulgence of the Diana cult and your hard-
headedness with respect to the extensive
labors of trade union and social-democratic
forces to move the EU to the left.

Cheers,

MBS

Max B. Sawicky            Economic Policy Institute
[EMAIL PROTECTED]          1660 L Street, NW
202-775-8810 (voice)      Ste. 1200
202-775-0819 (fax)        Washington, DC  20036
http://tap.epn.org/sawicky

Opinions above do not necessarily reflect the views
of anyone associated with the Economic Policy
Institute other than this writer.