Bill Burgess wrote:

> Michael Pereleman noted that it is not blaming Americans to assert that
> WTO regulations make it difficult to keep steroids and growth hormones
out
> of food in European countries. I'm not sure how this point connects to
> NAFTA on Mexico. Should be oppose increasing access to out markets by all
> countries whose health and safety regulations are less stringent than
> our's (i.e. most of the world)? Are pesticides really the problem or is
> capitalism the problem?

In California, we have been lucky to have passed legislation to protect
ourselves from pesticides -- though these regulations are weak.  There is
also some fear that less regulated Mexican trucks can pose a danger on our
roads.

Why should we not have the right to pass such regulations in a city or
state or country?

Yes, capitalism is the problem, but biological processes cannot distinguish
between capitalist poisons and those from other forms of society.  The
immediate problem is that capitalists use trade organizations to break down
the protection via local control.

------
Michael Perelman
Economics Department