At 16:51 12/09/97 -0700, Jim D. wrote:

>Ricardo Duchesne writes that: >Language is neither the determinant or a
>major determinant of thinking; these two are simply inseparable.<
>
>It depends on your definitions, doesn't it? If we define "thinking" as
>mental processes that occur within an individual's brain and "language" as a
>societal institution, then they aren't either the same or inseparable. One
>can think without words, as with much of chess-playing (what's important is
>the pattern). One the other hand, often words are used without thinking.
_________________

I don't think thinking and language can be separated. What can you think
without language? I don't understand the chess example. I do play a bit of
chess myself, and I don't think I could play it if I had no language. How
would the rules of chess be explained or comunicated to the other player,
or for that matter developed to begin with. Don't forget that mathematics
and abstract thinking is not outside of language.
_______

>Clearly, thinking and language (as defined) affect each other profoundly.
>But they aren't totally inseparable.

How would you separate them, jim? That's the big question. Cheers, ajit sinha