Friends,

I want to support Louis's comments on the AFFLUENZA program.  It was, to my
wife and I, pretty superficial.  Plus, a lot of attention was given to rightwing
religius nuts from Colorado Springs who are preaching less consumerism and more
god and family.  Also, thow yung women in the wshow, high school students, were
praised for rallying around anti-consumerism, after a visit to Mexico.  The poor
Mexicans were poor but they were so gracious and seemed happy.  Well, how they
would know that the poor Mexicans were happy is a mystery the show did not
bother to explore.  Homeless people are often very nice to me, but I would not
say that they were happy.  This excerpt from the show reminded me of an argument
we had with one of my wife's sisters.  She said that the poor folks on the
Bayou in Louisiana were happy because they got together every sunday and played
music.  She wished she could be like them.  We suggested that she was welcome to
live poor if she wanted, but we doubted she would.

michael yates