> From:          Ajit Sinha <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject:       [PEN-L:12401] Re: slurs

> Let me add one thing here. The problem here could be cultural as well. I
> hope I'm not condemning all Indians of impolitness, but it is true that
> Indians argue among friends with a lot of passion and not much concern for
> politness. But heated philosophical and political arguments usually do not
> affect personal relationships and friendships. In West, I have noticed that
> people attach their ego a bit too closely with the ideas they are arguing
> for. So i need to be more sensitive about that. Cheers, ajit sinha

Without getting into the substance of the thread on language
or the specific words beween others on this list, which I have
archived for future deep consideration, I'd like to second this point
about differing cultural norms of politeness, particularly relevant
to e-mail.

Around my Jewish parents' dinner table in the Jersey
suburbs of NYC, "you're nuts" had about the same
rhetorical temperature reading as "please pass the
salt," but a visitor of ours from the Midwest took great
umbrage to such remarks.  She was nuts, but that
was not why we divorced years later.

MBS

Max B. Sawicky            Economic Policy Institute
[EMAIL PROTECTED]          1660 L Street, NW
202-775-8810 (voice)      Ste. 1200
202-775-0819 (fax)        Washington, DC  20036
http://tap.epn.org/sawicky

Opinions above do not necessarily reflect the views
of anyone associated with the Economic Policy
Institute other than this writer.