I've had an instructive offlist correspondence with the
irascible Bill L and will try to clarify a couple of points.

1. I sought in my last post to offer a very broad definition
of culture as ditinct from say economics or biology, not of
what marks the boundaries of one culture as opposed to another.
What I sought indeed to suggest was that the nature of culture
in general, if considered carefully, made it rather difficult
to wall up the world into separate cultural compartments.

2. What riles Bill is what he sees as the assertion that one
cannot criticize something someone else does without sharing
in their culture.  That, in those general terms, is not what
I am arguing nor what I read Ajit to be saying.  I am arguing
that in specific contexts these critiques are used to push
other agendas, as in the last century Mill's influential
portrayal of the treatment of women in India was used very
directly to support colonial rule.

Perhaps the main thing Bill & I disagree on is whether we
disagree, as I like Bill's statements of principle.  I'm
happy to let anyone criticize anything they like, but when it
comes to deciding which to take seriously I do worry about
critiques that seem both minimally informed and to repeat a
long line of lurid and distancing portrayals of 3rd world
culture.  To me this seems to be a particular concern; Bill
perhaps still sees it as overly general.  But I do think we
can agree on the importance of understanding each particular
situation and the politics implicated in it.

Best, Colin