At 11:17 AM 9/11/97 -0700, Doug Henwood wrote:
>Michael Eisenscher wrote:
>
>>I know this apology is sincere, but I am bothered by your choice of words.
>>It is not just a matter of offending Buddhists or Asians, it is the
>>principle of feeding off of racial or ethnic or religious stereotyping that
>>is at issue.
>
>Can someone explain to me just how "Buddha can you spare a dime" is a slur?
>Doesn't it point up the incongruence of a worldly creep like Al Gore and
>his worthless Dem party using a religious organization as a cash laundry?
>Doesn't it presume the virtue of the religious - quite the opposite of
>making fun of them?
>
>Doug

Doug,

I saw it as gratuitous stereotyping at the expense of followers of a major
world religion who in this country are primarily Asians.  If similar forms
of humor were interjected which made Jews, women, gays, or African Americans
the object, would folks be as forgiving or blind to the potential for
offense?  In a nation with such a rich tradition of bigotry, innocent
remarks at another's expense only feed upon and feed into perpetuation of
negative stereotypes.

Let me also respond here to Jim Devine, who said:

[SNIP]
>I think the current mood of excessive sensitivity is piss-poor
>progressiveness, a substitution of changing terminology and language for
>changing social reality. I highly prefer the attitude of "you call us
>freaks, so we'll use the term ironically to refer to ourselves" (as the
>hippies did) to that of "how dare you call us freaks?" The latter is
>moralistic garbage. Let's get beyond words to deal with the real problem.
>(BTW, why is "people of color" superior to "colored people"?)

Well, Jim, on that theory if kids in the Black community appropriate the
slur "n-----r" as a term of derision or putdown in their conversations among
themselves, does that mean you have license as a white man to use it freely
without any sense of self-consciousness as to its racist origins and usage?
"Get beyond words....."?  As one of the more prolific intellectual
contributors to this list, I am amazed you now depreciate the importance of
words and their meaning.  Aren't words weapons of both class oppression and
liberation?

[SNIP]
>Also, excessive sensitivity encourages revolt.

I thought that was what most of the folks on this list were working toward?  :-)

>I can't see how any
>professor could favor the imposition of "speech codes" on adolescents, who
>will turn the system around, using "correct" terms in racist or sexist
>ways. (For example, I recently glanced at a note that someone had stuck
>under the windshield wiper of a car next to mine in the parking lot: "John,
>you are such a homosexual!" it said before I stopped reading. It was
>clearly using "homosexual" as a slur.) Or it will encourage universities to
>be even more authoritarian, to keep those adolescents in line.

We don't need speech codes for those who recognize offensive and divisive
speech to draw that fact to the attention of the speaker or to express
disapproval when terms of hatred, derision, and prejudice are bantied about
in casual speech by unthinking people or by those who harbor such bigotry
themselves.

I find it interesting the most of the responses from folks on the list who
can't see what's offensive in the joke or who think that objections to it
are over-sensitive or PC have come from white men (who also comprise the
lion's share of participants on the list).  If we take such speech to be
innocent and acceptable, what message does that give to people of color, or
others from groups historically or currently victimized about this list and
the reception they will receive here?  How do we eliminate bigotry by
pandering to it?

Michael