> Date:          Mon, 25 Aug 1997 11:08:19 -0700 (PDT)
> From:          "Harry M. Cleaver" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject:       [PEN-L:11955] Re: Big mouth

> On Mon, 25 Aug 1997, Louis Proyect wrote:
>
> > I'm glad god blessed me with a big mouth. The TV show "Law and Order" is
> > filming on the premises of Columbia Teachers College where I work. The show
> > presents a right-wing version of the crime problem, as would be indicated
> > by the title. It is basically "Dirty Harry" without the vigilantism. The
> > "bad guys" who are usually minorities get their comeuppance in the courts
> > rather than the streets.

> Louis: I haven't watched L&O with any regularity but I have watched it
> often enough to see that it is NOT "a right-wing version of the crime
> problem". It is much more of a liberal version --still very much within
> the system-- but frequently giving a liberal view of various social
> issues. For instance, I have seen at least two shows in which right-wing,
> pro-lifers (if you will excuse the term) used violence against abortion
> clinics. In both cases the treatment was anything but favorable to the
> usual right wing positions and attitudes. I suspect that if they haven't
> done a show, or shows, dealing with crooked or sadistic cops, they well
> might. It would fit nicely into the liberal agenda favoring reform to
> clean up the dirty corners of society --without of course questioning the
> basic fabric of "law and order". I haven't done a head count --as I say I
> haven't watched it systematically-- but I'd also guess that the majority
> of the "bad guys" are NOT minorities, for all the same reasons.

Harry is right on the button.
In the same vein, the plots of L&O frequently feature scenarios
where a working-class or minority suspect is thrown out as bait
for the viewer, only to be exonerated later by when some kind of
upscale type is revealed to be the culprit.

Since the cops are the good guys, naturally they are never
shown beating the stuffing out of anybody (or almost never).
However, they often seem to violate suspects' civil rights,
tho I'm no lawyer, by using a variety of deceptions to get
them to come clean.  In the context of the stories, this is
portrayed sympathetically as resourcefulness in nailing
guilty parties.

The show's stories follow headline cases very closely,
so I am willing to bet anybody here something of value that this
year's episodes will include a fictionalization of the Brooklyn case.

As tv goes, L&O ain't bad, tho I prefer 'Homicide.'

Child of television,

MBS

Max B. Sawicky            Economic Policy Institute
[EMAIL PROTECTED]          1660 L Street, NW
202-775-8810 (voice)      Ste. 1200
202-775-0819 (fax)        Washington, DC  20036
http://epn.org/sawicky

Opinions above do not necessarily reflect the views
of anyone associated with the Economic Policy
Institute other than this writer.