Terry McDonough wrote:

> While state policy (as a first approximation) is in service of
> capital, there is no reason why this should be local capital
> exclusively and no necessity the policies pursued should be
> nationalist in character.
This issue revolves around how one conceptualizes the mechanisms
through which capital "controls" the state. I tend to believe that the
main route through which capital controls democratic states involves
hegemonic processes (Gramscian) that leads the majority (non-capitalists)
to internalize the goals of capital.

If this is true, then IF international capital is to control
national states they must succeed in taking over control of
the hegemonic processes with a nation away from purely national
capital. This is likely hard to do. The more international
capital attempts to do this, the more national
capital will tend to organize hegemonic processes around
the notion of "our nation versus others". Or, perhaps
nationalist thinking is so well ingrained within national
cultures due to past hegemonic processes (via a
path dependency sort of process) that international
capital will likely be unable to overcome this
key fact.

Perhaps this is one possible reason for the rise of
international organizations/structures/quasi-states
which international capital can control more directly
without getting involved in mucking around with domestic
hegemonic processes. Perhaps this is also why these
international quasi-state structures tend to be "technocratic"
and/or "rule guided" (like WTO) so that democracy
(and hence the need for hegemonic processes) does
not rear its ugly head at the international level.

Eric
..

Eric Nilsson
Department of Economics