>From "LYNN TURGEON, PROFESSOR EMERITUS OF ECONOMICS, HOFSTRA UNIVERSITY,
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]"@anthrax.ecst.csuchico.edu Wed Jul  2 20:39:31 1997
        Wed, 2 Jul 1997 19:37:55 -0700 (PDT)
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 1997 19:37:55 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
From: "LYNN TURGEON, PROFESSOR EMERITUS OF ECONOMICS, HOFSTRA UNIVERSITY,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]"@anthrax.ecst.csuchico.edu
Subject: [PEN-L:11101] Secret History of the Korean War

In a recent posting, someone suggested that the U.S. government had tried to
stop the publication of I.F. Stone's book in the early 50s. I asked Paul Sweezy
about this because I had never heard about it. He says that he and Leo Huberman
were walking in Central Park one day and accidentally ran into Izzy with his
manuscript under his arm. They decided then and there to publish the book, the
first book by MR Press. Stone had been rejected by numerous mainstream
publishers in the McCarthy-like atmosphere of the time so there was no need for
the U.S. government to intervene. Will the person who made the original posting
write to me directly and give his/her source? Lynn Turgeon