Bill Burgess writes: >>Of course, but I don't think Lenin's *basic* notion
of an age of
imperialism (characterized by imperialist competition rooted in
overproduction, and a general division between oppressed and oppressor
nations) is so far off, even today.<<

My point (developed in a longer message) is that the form of
inter-imperialist competition has changed, as has that of the division
between oppressed and oppressor nations.

Lenin's general framework is okay in an abstract way, I guess, but even he
preferred Bukharin's more theoretical analysis.

I find Lenin's discussion of overproduction to be a bit confused. However,
I do think that the competitive austerity I talked about in the longer
missive is encouraging over-production on a global scale. That's very
different from Lenin's nation-based overproduction.

>> Imperialist war has been known to accompany imperialist economics, and
while I find Yugoslavia a harder case to explain than Vietnam, one argument
that has helped to make sense of Yugoslavia is how imperialist rivalry
helped prolong that conflict ... <<

I wasn't denying the existence of rivalry among the big 8. But it's not
really a matter of military rivalry (which both Lenin and Bukharin
emphasize). The US war against Vietnam doesn't quite fit with Lenin's
theory since it was part of the US war against a non-capitalist country
(the USSR), while Lenin assumes the world is capitalist.

in pen-l solidarity,

Jim Devine   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Econ. Dept., Loyola Marymount Univ.
7900 Loyola Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90045-8410 USA
310/338-2948 (daytime, during workweek); FAX: 310/338-1950
"Segui il tuo corso, e lascia dir le genti." (Go your own way
and let people talk.) -- K. Marx, paraphrasing Dante A.