Doug Henwood questions "the globalization mania" in the latest LBO
[#77] with statistics that show that intrafirm (imports + exports)
trade slightly decreased from 1977 to 1994 (from 30% of U.S. trade to
29%).  He cites other statistics which show some types of intrafirm
transfer increased, but only slightly, confirming his contention that
the current fears of "globalization" are inflated (and misplaced).  My
questions are regarding the definition of globalization and trying to
figure out why people are so concerned with it.

Suppose I operate International Business Company (IBC).  I decide that
IBC is not smashing its workers quite enough to boost profits ever
higher, so I build new capacity in, say, China.  Now, instead of any
"intrafirm" transfers of goods, I simply start supplying the Chinese
market from the Chinese side (perhaps with a small amount of intrafirm
trade occurring, but assume we get most of our "raw materials"
locally, or import from other firms).  Now, the total market that IBC
grows, but the US side of the production fence shrinks since no
exports are going to China (though capacity stays roughly the same).
Intrafirm trade stays about the same, but "globalization" has struck
the U.S. workforce, and this won't show up in Doug's statistics.

Now, my questions are:

First, is this scenario reasonable and relatively important (or, can
it be corrected easily to be so)?  That is, can one do this sort of
thing without significantly affecting intrafirm trade?

Second, if this phenomenon is what is behind the globalization mania,
how would it be measured?  By global excess capacity?  I know that
William Greider contends that excess capacity has indeed gone up
world-wide.

Third, how important is this sort of shifting in capacity relative to
domestic efforts to destroy working people, and could this indigenous
effort be somehow confused with "globalization" (either intentionally
or not)?

Bill