Tavis Barr wrote:

>I'd believe it.  I just think we're talking about different political
>circles.  You claim to have identified groups working on specific, local
>issues.  That may indeed be true, but I don't think that's what's wrong
>with the above mentioned organizations.  I think you've identified
>groups that are building through staff instead of recruiting activists.
>That's what we need to fight against.

Tavis, I'm happy to believe you've found better people than I, but still,
what are they doing together? We have a savage onslaught here in NYC, much
of it of local or Albany origin, and there is next to no opposition.

Judith Butler finally finished revising her plenary paper from our old
friend, last December's Rethinking Marxism conference. She is concerned,
after Sokal (whom she explicitly refuses to name; her only named opponent
is Nancy Fraser) that calls for "unity" on the part of "neo-conservative
Marxists" are an attempt to silenece the new social movements, unity always
being bought at the price of marginalization, subordination, or excision.
I'd be the last to deny that unity is often exactly that; I'm not
dismissing Butler as some obscurantist professor of identity. But is that
the only kind of unity there is? Isn't there a unity of solidarity as well
as erasure?

Doug

--

Doug Henwood