>>Most unions were formed when people were working six
>>days a week, 10-12 hours a day.

Doug and a couple of other people have pointed out that twentieth century
Americans also work long weeks (ie Juliet Schor's Overworked
American--excellent book).  The point this quote was attached to originally
was a response to Tavis (I think Tavis, sorry if I'm wrong).  Tavis said that
organizing working people is incredibly hard because they work long hours--I
was pointing out that during the most active unionizing in this country,
people on average worked even longer hours and that difficult conditions
aside, hard working people can be moved into tremendous activity.  I still
stand by the original statement.  (p.s.  I work ridiculous hours and I still
have time to post b.s., er stuff to pen-l.) maggie coleman [EMAIL PROTECTED]