In one of Shawgi's postings, we read the following:
>>The fact, however, is that the European Union, its member countries, and
the U.S. have sharp contentions amongst themselves, not to mention the
Russian Federation. The sharpening rivalries amongst them and the other
economic powers pose the danger of another world war. The Summit of Eight
Communique is a manifesto of their common maneouvring for sources of raw
materials and areas for export of capital which will contribute to this
danger.<<

Another world war? So we can simply take Lenin's popular outline,
IMPERIALISM, and apply it _without_modification_ to understand the
present-day rivalries amongst the advanced capitalist powers?

I think not. There's been a lot of research and thinking on this issue
since Lenin that shouldn't be ignored.

in pen-l solidarity,

Jim Devine   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Econ. Dept., Loyola Marymount Univ.
7900 Loyola Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90045-8410 USA
310/338-2948 (daytime, during workweek); FAX: 310/338-1950
"It takes a busload of faith to get by." -- Lou Reed.