I don't know the history of the economics of inheritance taxes, but
consider what the life-cycle hypothesis (LCH) says about it.

First, a proportional tax on inheritance (say 50%) is imposed (where none
existed) and people want to leave a fixed amount of "bequests" to their
scions, that would encourage people to double their saving. Lowering the
estate tax rate would reduce the incentive to save! (Keynesians might favor
this policy, because it would stimulate effective demand.)

Second, those who inherit wealth would have little incentive to save. In
fact, if inherited wealth > desired bequests, that might completely cancel
out the life-cycle saving from labor income. (If inherited wealth = desired
bequests, all saving is from labor income, for retirement.) I think that
one of the things that prep schools and places like Yale and Harvard to is
to teach rich people not to dip into capital, so that desired bequests do
not exceed inherited wealth. Of course, sometimes they fail.

The textbook presentation of the LCH leaves out the interest and dividends
that accumulate from the inherited wealth. Bringing them in, one might
decide to preserve the inherited wealth for future generations while
consuming the interest and dividends. The existence of those interest and
dividends in my retirement years would undermine my incentive to save from
labor income (just as the presence of the social security pension plan
allegedly does).

Fourth, getting a bit beyond the LCH, which takes labor income as given,
inherited wealth undermines the incentive to work. (For some unknown
reason, the Labor Economics books never point this out, whereas the
disincentive effect of "welfare" payments is stressed.) If I were to
inherit a billion dollars, why couldn't I and my wife just spend it over
the next 30 years (which is what I assume remains of our lives) at a rate
of $33 million per year (ignoring interest and dividend income)? Or we
could spend $20 million per year, leaving quite a tidy sum for the
children! Why work at all? (Of course, the rich get their pick of the jobs...)

By using birth control, we could make sure that this sum isn't distributed
over a large number of kids, so each would get a lot. Of course, if we have
fewer children, that might undermine our incentive to leave a large bequest
(especially if we worry that their work incentive might be undermined by a
legacy), so spend, spend, spend!

in pen-l solidarity,

Jim Devine   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Econ. Dept., Loyola Marymount Univ.
7900 Loyola Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90045-8410 USA
310/338-2948 (daytime, during workweek); FAX: 310/338-1950
"It takes a busload of faith to get by." -- Lou Reed.