> The goal is to make the review more than just a venue for scholarly
> articles, to make it more useful to those who are not professors of
> economics.
>
> > michael yates

Response: I'm combining my responses on two issues: 1) on the above
statement, it's about time. Often when I read articles in RRPE I have
the same feeling I get when I read some of the "Beats"--So what? or
what do I or the subjects of the piece do with this? Where does it
take me?

What is the use of taking on the neoclassicals by cranking out
articles even more reductionistic, linear, technique-fetishistic,
abstract and esoteric than what the neoclassicals put out. I
sometimes get the feeling that RRPE represents for some a kind of
market niche and a way to get "academic respectability" and CV
notches by making RRPE similar to--and therefore as "respectable" as--
some of the "mainstream" journals while also being "progressive" (Oh
I am part of the class struggle with my article re-examining Marx's
theory of value).

All I can say about these opinions, like my opinion about the "Beats"
and anarchism in general (with all due and sincere reverence for the
individual anarchists who have given lives and suffering in struggles
against various forms of despotism), is to quote Dennis Miller:
"That's just my opinion; of course I could be wrong."

I think Kerouac's Institute for Disembodied Poetry was correctly
named: disembodied from real conditions, real people, real concerns,
real language, real struggles tied-in with the issues being alluded
to in the poetry. I'm surprised the neoclassicals haven't used some
of the "Beats", their poetry, lifestyles, elitist aloofness as models
and "proofs" of some of the core neoclassical "axioms" about human
nature, human propensities and human behavior.

Again, that's just my opinion and of course, I could be wrong.

                              Jim Craven

*                           "Those who take the most from the table,*
*  James Craven                teach contentment.                   *
*  Dept of Economics         Those for whom the taxes are destined, *
*  Clark College               demand sacrifice.                    *
*  1800 E. Mc Loughlin Blvd. Those who eat their fill,              *
*  Vancouver, Wa. 98663        speak to the hungry,                 *
*  (360) 992-2283              of wonderful times to come.          *
*  Fax: (360) 992-2863    Those who lead the country into the abyss,*
*  [EMAIL PROTECTED]           call ruling difficult,               *
*                              for ordinary folk." (Bertolt Brecht) *
* MY EMPLOYER HAS NO ASSOCIATION WITH MY PRIVATE/PROTECTED OPINION  *