I think that we might take a few moments to consider why and how UPS
won.  So far, some of the obvious factors were:

1. The drivers had made a good impression on the public before the
strike.  The Wall Street Journal had an article a couple of years ago,
describing the drivers as sex symbols to emphasize the auroa of the UPS
people.

2. So they had public support.

3. How much of the public support comes from people being fed up with
corporate abuses?

4. Given the importance of the personal relationship, hiring replacement
workers would be trickier.

5. UPS had a tenuous hold on a virtual monopoly, making them more
vulnerable to a strike.

6. How much of the public could identify with a Chicano strawberry
picker.

7. I live in a semi-rural environment, but I have never seen an
obviously "ethnic" UPS driver.  The ones that I know are very clean, cut
white middle class people.

8. The Teamsters had a lot of baggage to shed.  The press never seemed
to try to label them with thuggishness.  Why was the media not more
negative toward UPS, especially since some of the workers are relatively
well off?
--
Michael Perelman
Economics Department