Pen-L'ers,

Amidst all the interpretive differences over the meaning of Burroughs'
life, writings, and death, no one has mentioned the passing of another
important -- in my mind, much more politically important -- "cultural
worker" -- the self-styled Nigerian musician/dissident, Fela Kuti.
Fela Kuti, despite the bizarre contradicitions of his personal life
(e.g. he married all 30-or-so of his female backup singers in a ceremony
in the late 70's), was a consistently harsh critic of the brutal policies
imposed by the string of neo-colonial (and usually military) kleptocracies
that have long ruled Nigeria. His rhythmic and orchestral compositions,
which were unyielding in their populist satire of Nigeria's comprador
class, were a great achievement of mixing art and politics.

I don't know that much about Nigeria, or even the experience and work of
Fela Kuti, but what little I do know, makes me mourn his passing.

John Gulick
UC-Santa Cruz