> Please correct me if my guesses are wrong. It's possible that the tax break
> preceded this period. Since then, it's been a sacred cow.

Not many people paid the Federal personal income tax before
WWII, so if it existed (I don't know if it did or not) the deduction
would have been a minor matter on that account alone.

Clearly as you say major political factors included returning
veterans coming home and rapidly growing economy and living
standards.

 MBS

"People say I'm arrogant, but I know better."

                              -- John Sununu

Max B. Sawicky            Economic Policy Institute
[EMAIL PROTECTED]          1660 L Street, NW
202-775-8810 (voice)      Ste. 1200
202-775-0819 (fax)        Washington, DC  20036
http://epn.org/sawicky

Opinions above do not necessarily reflect the views
of anyone associated with the Economic Policy
Institute other than this writer.