At 01:54 AM 7/28/97 -0700, rakesh bhandari wrote:

>Now, Connerly does not ask, is that suburban residence really an advantage
>for black middle class kids? Having attended a predominantly white middle
>class high school which was attended by 4 African-Americans out of 1500
>hundred students, I find it amazing that Connerly simply refuses to
>consider the graver impacts on these children of racism and the
>consequences of teacher neglect, self-doubt and demoralization from being
>in "better" communities. The racist treatment of and rumours spread  about
>these "poor" kids  in our high school were so barbaric as to still make me
>sick. Indeed my high school principal just recently had to apologize for
>referring to the Bay Bridge as connecting Fairyland (SF) with Jungleland
>(Oakland).
>
> Also  what such results do indicate is that SATs do not test for actual
>intellectual attainment. That is, perhaps because certain children simply
>refuse to demonstrate actual intellectual attainment in a competitive
>setting out of a radical identification with an oppressed group  (see
>William Whyte's classic studies of subcultural solidarity as summarized by
>John Madge The Origins of Scientific Sociology) and because they may indeed
>be anxious about stereotypes and thus protect themselves through
>underpreparation (and the SAT must be prepared for), their test scores
>simply don't reflect their *substantive* intellectual accomplishments, much
>less capabilities.
>
>  Such results could as easily serve to dereify low test scores  and prove
>the terrible consequences of racism as they are used to prove black
>inferiority (most insidously by Murray and D'Souza). Perhaps then what
>needs to be banned is not affirmative action but the tyranny of
>standardized testing as a determination or diagnosis of superior and
>inferior intellectual accomplishment (what do people think of Elaine Mensh
>and Harry Mensh The IQ Mythology: Class, Race, Gender and Inequality?)

Being a product of a foreign school system that actually emphasized problem
solving skills, I was apalled by the fact that a graduate admission test in
the US of A contains basically the 6th grade math problems.  But then I
discovered that it is not the quality of thinking but timing that counts --
there is no way anyone can pass that test if one tries to "solve" those
problems, there is simply not enough time for that.  The trick is to learn a
few tricks about selecting the right answers.  So I wisened up, bought a
Princeton Review book (still not the same as paying for the whole course)
and did well on the GRE.

For a long time I wondered why would a college (or grad school) admission
examination contain tasks that no student is ever asked to preform in the
academic settings.  Then I wisened up again and realised that the American
school system is not about knowledge, learning and education, at least not
primarily so.  It is about socialization into a set of values and attitudes
required to succeed in a  corporate environement.  And the SAT/GRE test
precisely for that -- on those tests, you are actually punished from trying
to solve problems on your own, but rewarded from picking up the right
solution from the four or so options handed down by the authority.  That is
what Princeton Review course prepares you to do, if your parents can cough
up enough dough to pay for it.

How does that relate to the issue of race?  There has been a whole debate on
the role of culture and cultural identity in the position of ethnic
minorities in the American society.  While some of those "culture of
poverty" arguments were clearly racist and sexist (e.g. that African
American families, being often female headed, fail to instill the right set
of values) they pointed into the right direction -- that the American
institutions and middle class society has very low tolerance for diversity;
to succeed, you must fit it.  Specifically, any ethnic group whose culture
espouses collectivism over individualism, cooperation over competition,
expressing emotions over "maintaining a face" , skepticism and distruct over
deference toward mainstream social instituions -- is automaticaly labeled as
inferior in the American society.  Examples include not only African
Americans, but Latinos, Italians, Eastern Europeans, or Jews -- whose
cultures share those traits.

In that sense, the whole debate over AA in the UC system is sending the
right message: cultural diversity is not tolerated in mainstream Amerikkka;
if any group of people cannot adopt the Anglo-acceptable set of social
attitudes, physical appearance, and norm of behavior, they will not succesd
in this society, now matter how much education they get and what technical
skills they acquire.  Admitting them to prestigious universities is not only
a waste of resources, but also unethical, beacuse it raises false hopes.  In
the same vein, expelling non-Aryans from German universities was "justified"
by the fact that there was no place for the "life unfit for life" in the
Nazi society.  Gauleiter Wilson  is simply honest about that.  This is
ethnic cleansing Amerikkkan-style: keeping the "tiermenschen" in their
"proper" place yet avoiding brutal spectacles a la Nazi Germany or Republika
Srpska.
wojtek sokolowski
institute for policy studies
johns hopkins university
baltimore, md 21218
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
voice: (410) 516-4056
fax:   (410) 516-8233

POLITICS IS THE SHADOW CAST ON SOCIETY BY BIG BUSINESS. AND AS LONG AS THIS
IS SO, THE ATTENUATI0N OF THE SHADOW WILL NOT CHANGE THE SUBSTANCE.
- John Dewey