>"Harvard prof tells working class to tighten belts; working class raises
>middle finger in response."
>
>How do you do this critique without risking snobbery?
>
>Doug

While I too use much of Schor's work, I have always been bothered by a few
things:
1.  there really is a lack of class analysis--the work uses income as the
defining factor, and ignores the fact that very wealthy people consume and
waste a whole lot more than people in the working class--whether they are
part of the union aristocracy or not.
2.  It ignores an analysis of where consumerism comes from--consumerism is to
capitalism as the sacraments are to Catholicism.  Consumerism is fostered by
capitalism: it is what keeps us in debt and makes banks rich.  For people to
reduce consumption, they must somehow reject the heart of capitalism.
maggie coleman [EMAIL PROTECTED]