>Organizing the very poor, for example, is extremely
>complicated.  Poor people are highly overworked and have very little
>time.  You usually have to have all your meetings on Saturday and Sunday
>afternoons, or else right at the end of the workday and keep it short.
>No long ideological battles on weekdays, I'm afraid.
Are long ideological battles ever necessary?  Perhaps intellectuals don't
communicate to non-intellectuals because the 'nons' don't want to waste time
in ideological battles--real battles are hard enough.  Also, as I pointed out
in another message, a higher percentage of the u.s. working class were
organized into unions at the end of the nineteenth century than at any other
time.  The average work day was 10-11 hours a day, six days a week.

>Often they don't
>have money for the subway and you have to provide it. For all these
>kinds of reasons, it's a lot easier for staff-run organizations of
>middle class people to crop up claiming to represent the poor.  T

It's this we/they attitude that is at least part of the reason for the lack
of communication.

maggie coleman [EMAIL PROTECTED]