Somehow I overlooked this (long past) reply from Wojtek, who wrote in
response to my question,

>>Hmm.  What can the "exchange-value" of a good (as opposed, for example, the
>>good's "value") refer to, if not to price *in some sense*?

, this answer:

>The ability to fetch other goods that coincides, yet is analytically
>different from price.  I can put on the market a fine antique from the early
>Gates era (aka XT running DOS 3.1) I own, with the price tag of $100.  The
>antique has a price, but (most likely) no exchange value.

.....but I don't really know what this means.  *How* exactly is exchange
value coincident with, "yet..analytically different from" price?  In the
example given, the distinction seems to be that between the initial asking
price of a seller, and the price actually commanded in exchange.  But the
latter is certainly a price "in some sense", as I suggested.

Gil Skillman