Without doubt, I am sure you are right.  There are characteristics from a
number of societies and cultures that one can respect and admire (dare I
say, even our own).  My point was not to suggest that there are none, but
rather to observe that merely eliminating the disasterous effects which
capitalism has had (assuming one had the power to erase the effects of
history) would not restore indigenous societies to some state akin to
nirvana, which is too frequently implied by the way some folks speak about
Indian peoples.  It is easy to celebrate selected elements of Indian
societies (which were not all alike, even though too often they are treated
as undifferentiated) as if those could be disentangled from their cultural
and material contexts.  Fantasy and stereotypes may inhabit the imagination,
but make poor substitutes for historical and cultural analysis, and offer
little in the way of insight as to what strategies should be pursued given
that the historical clock only winds forward.

Michael E.