Perhaps I should have made the point explicit.  Tom alluded to Gomper's oft
cited speech in which he describes labor's aspirations as wanting "more."
Rarely do those who use the reference actually provide the entire quote from
which "more" is taken.  I tried to dig it up, but could not.  The quote I
found came pretty close, however.  The fact that I posted a paragraph from
Gompers should not lead you to presume, if you have, that I therefore
embrace a) the content of the quote, b) the record of the AFL, c) business
unionism, or d) Gomper's philosophical views or record as the "father of
business unionism" (just who was its mother?).  I am delighted, however,
that you were able to devine the gender/race implications of this paragraph
without any elucidation on my part or even my failure to put "wisdom" in
quotation marks so that everyone would know that I really did not hold it up
as real wisdom (which I don't seek from Gompers but do look for in the
erudite contributions of the sage contributors to PEN-L).

In solidarity,
Michael