> Jim Cullen responds:
>
> The tone of your criticism is one of the reasons that most American workers
> would just as soon export liberals to Myanmar, rather than support their
> causes. My editorial appeals to the self-interest of American workers
> because they are the ones who can have an impact on United States trade
> policy.  .  .  .

You see, Jim, that was your problem.  There is a certain mindset
which holds the consumption needs and habits of, say, the top 75
percent of the U.S. population to be environmentally excessive and
aesthetically vulgar.  The working class is mostly outside the U.S.
(those inside the U.S. often not working) and lives in a world with
no legitimate borders, state, or need for such oppressive things as
law enforcement.  You have to go back to Lin Piao, where the peasants
of the periphery would surround and engulf the developed capitalist
world and its fat, racist, sell-out worker-aristocrats.

Get with the program! (sic)

> I suppose at a moral level perhaps it is unworthy of us to couch our
> arguments in self-interest, but at a practical level I don't see anything
> wrong with an American worker getting involved politically to protect his
> or her livelihood.

Tsk tsk.

Out at the shack, building my next "surprise,"

Max

Max B. Sawicky            Economic Policy Institute
[EMAIL PROTECTED]          1660 L Street, NW
202-775-8810 (voice)      Ste. 1200
202-775-0819 (fax)        Washington, DC  20036
http://tap.epn.org/sawicky

Opinions above do not necessarily reflect the views
of anyone associated with the Economic Policy
Institute other than this writer.