Doug Henwood: (on a thread in Marxism-International mail-list)

> U.S. unions are corrupt,
>undemocratic, and often reactionary. They're better now than they were 3 or
>5 years ago, though, and that's a good thing for the working class. Hoffa
>and Feldman would represent serious steps back.

The reform process in American labor does not begin and end with Ron Carey.
It should be recalled that Teamsters were fighting against corruption,
gangsterism and bureaucracy long before Carey's election. It was this
struggle that resulted in his victory, not just support from a wing of the
Democratic Party.

Today's Village Voice has a long article on Tim Schermerhorn of New
Directions, a progressive caucus in the New York Transit Workers Union.
Unfortunately it is too long for me to type in, but I urge folks to try to
find it.

The article was written by Laura McClure who I used to run into all the
time when she was the labor reporter for the Guardian. Good to see her at
the Voice.

She reports that Schermerhorn's caucus styles itself after the Teamsters
for a Democratic Union and now occupies 15 seats on the union's 35 seat
executive committee. He has a good shot at replacing Willie James, the
current union president who is a self-described "accomodator" who backed
Giuliani in the last election.

Schermerhorn's dad was in the Transit Union as well and took Tim to a rally
led by Mike Quill, the Communist who led the union in the 60s. Quill led a
number of successful strikes, including one against the popular liberal
mayor John Lindsay, who he kept calling "Lindsley" in a thick Irish brogue.
Quill spent time in jail for this strike when he was in his 70s. Quill was
an outspoken foe of the Vietnam war and always referred to the NLF as the
"Vietnamese freedom fighters."

Schermerhorn is a frequent visitor to the Brecht Forum in NY and showed up
for a talk by Kim Moody last friday night. He is a broad-shouldered black
man, well over 250 pounds and 6 feet tall. He is very at ease in a crowd.
Tim identifies strongly with the changes going on in American labor and is
affiliated with the Labor Party, which Kim Moody described accurately--I'm
afraid--as stuck in the mud right now.

New Directions is working hard to build alliances with community groups and
transportation activists. Glenn Martin, a subway conductor who is on the
executive committe, is drawing the community into opposition to OPTO
(one-person train operation),  which would eliminate conductors. This cuts
wages while it increases danger from crime or accidents.

Martin says, "There are people already out here, fighting their own fight,
who would love to be with someone who has a big base like ours. It might up
the ante for some of those labor sellouts if there was a big union out
there talking about the issues."

Schermerhorn agrees with Martin: "If we won, it would definitely change the
landscape. All those unions in the city with no social power that owuld
like to do the right thing? Well, they'd have somebody besides them who
carries a big stick."

Louis Proyect