From:             Laurence Shute <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject:          Actual US Unemployment Rate??

<<I may be living in some alternate universe, but I've long thought
that the actual US unemployment rate was much higher (say, twice as
high) as the published figures.  Because of under counting of
undocumented residents, discouraged workers, and plain old missing of
large groups of poor.

This morning I seem to have some sort of window of open-mindedness,
however brief it may be, and wonder if anyone has thoughts on this
today?  btw, this is one reason I have never thought we had a real
inflationary danger in the past several years.>>

The ADA regularly presents figures on an alternative
unemployment rate along the lines you suggest.
Check out their web site (noted below) if interested.

MBS

                e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                Home page: http://adaction.org

_______________________________________

AMERICANS FOR DEMOCRATIC ACTION
1625 K Street, N.W., Suite 210
Washington, D.C. 20006
e-mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
fax:  (202) 785-5969
phone:(202) 785-5980

Max B. Sawicky            Economic Policy Institute
[EMAIL PROTECTED]          1660 L Street, NW
202-775-8810 (voice)      Ste. 1200
202-775-0819 (fax)        Washington, DC  20036
http://tap.epn.org/sawicky

Opinions above do not necessarily reflect the views
of anyone associated with the Economic Policy
Institute other than this writer.