Paul,

Many thanks for your comments.  However, I probably didn't make myself that
clear.  What information about the actual workings of the Canadian/US
economy would you like your students to know before they leave school?  For
example, they need to know what GATT is, and what's happening with it.
They need to know about the workings of the Social Security Act.   NAFTA
and other "free-trade" associations.  The EU.  and so on.

As an Institutionalist/Marxist, I'm very familiar with Commons and teach
him in some of my courses.  What I'm really looking for are suggestions
which could form the backbone of a economics major senior graduation exam,
as well as something that could more usefully serve in the introductory
course.  I agree with you about the "neoclassical fraud" -- what would you
like to see put in its place for an introductory course in economics?  I
have the feeling that economics majors leave the university without any
real knowledge of the actual conditions of industrial life.

Thanks again for your input.

Larry Shute

Thanks for your message at 10:52 PM 10/29/97 -0600,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  Your message was: