Ricardo writes: > ... Marx's views on the political cultures of
non-European societes were quite negative - just see his writings on India,
Mexico, or even Eastern Europe. ... <

Marx was also quite critical of _European_ societies. One of his mottoes
was "ruthless criticism of all existing" and sometimes he took it to
curmudgeonly extremes. If I remember correctly, he wrote a book about
Gladstone (a British P.M.) and the Crimean War that was quite mean to those
Brits. He also embraced the then-fashionable habit of using ethnic
stereotypes, including those against two groups to which he himself
belonged (Jews and Germans). (This fashion started becoming unfashionable
only in the 1940s.)

If Michael P. or someone else who knows this stuff can tell us, I'd
appreciate knowing what old Chuck's attitudes toward Europeans.

Also, as Michael pointed out quite correctly, Marx did write a lot about
European colonialism in the "third world" beyond the "modern theory of
colonization" chapter at the end of CAPITAL, vol. I. But did Marx have a
_theory_ of looting and forced-labor colonialism as developed as his theory
(or Wakefield's theory) of settler colonialism? ("Looting" was typically
the first type of colonialism, followed by creation of forced labor
systems, as with the haciendas or encomiendas in the Spanish New World.)

in pen-l solidarity,

Jim Devine   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://clawww.lmu.edu/1997F/ECON/jdevine.html
Econ. Dept., Loyola Marymount Univ.
7900 Loyola Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90045-8410 USA
310/338-2948 (daytime, during workweek); FAX: 310/338-1950
"It takes a busload of faith to get by." -- Lou Reed.