--------------3F4D7DD0540C0BE70B15E592

**** Apologies for Cross Postings! ****

Conference May 8-10, 1998

Work, Difference and Social Change:
New Perspectives on Work and Workers
Two Decades after Braverman's_Labor and Monopoly Capital_

State University of New York at Binghamton
Binghamton, NY 13902-6000
USA

All,

The final Conference Announcement and Call for Papers will go out the
end of this month.  If you'd like a paper announcement, let me know and
I'll add your name to our mailing list.  In the meantime, you can visit
our web page, which has a printable registration form:

      http://sociology.adm.binghamton.edu/work

The page is regularly updated.  It will list the final program schedule
and paper titles by late March.

There have been a few changes since the preliminary announcement:

 - We have extended our deadline for paper submissions until January.
We are doing this to accommodate requests we've had from authors outside
the US.

 - Also in response to several requests, we have decided to accept
submissions in French, Spanish and German.  Accepted papers will be
printed in the Proceedings with an extended English abstract. The
conference presentation must still be in English.

 - We are happy to announce a special panel by the editors of Monthly
Review -- Harry Magdoff, Paul Sweezy and Ellen Meiksins Wood.  MR Press
will announce the 25th Anniversary Edition of _Labor and Monopoly
Capital_ at the Conference.

 - There will exhibits and editorial representative from labor-friendly
presses and journals.

 - Continental Airlines, which provided service to Newark, will no
longer serve the Binghamton airport after December.  The other New York
airports and major US cities are served by US Airways (formerly USAir),
Northwestern, and United.  We expect another airline to begin service to
Newark before the conference. The Syracuse, New York, airport is about
an hour further away and is served by a larger number of carriers.  It's
an easy drive, and week-end car rentals are cheap, especially for
several persons traveling together.

 - And we have a new conference phone -- (607) 777-6844 -- complete with
annoying voicemail message in case no one is around to answer it.  Our
email address remains [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Send faxes to (607)
777-4197, attention Conference Committee.

We have been pleased by the early response to our first announcement --
more than pleased.  Although the deadline is still three months away, we
have received a remarkable number of papers.  The early submissions are
very good and range broadly: the creation of class consciousness among
19th century US industrialists; gendered divisions of labor; work time;
commodified images of work; case studies of "participation" schemes; and
more. On the basis of the papers already in hand, Braverman +20 will be
more international, more activist and more wide-ranging than the first
one.  And this time we'll have a band.

Please contact me if you have any questions or suggestions.

For the conference committee,

Phil Kraft

--------------3F4D7DD0540C0BE70B15E592

begin:          vcard
fn:             Philip Kraft
n:              Kraft;Philip
org:            Department of Sociology
adr:            SUNY-Binghamton;;;Binghamton;NY;13902-6000;
email;internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
tel;work:       +1-(607)-777-2585
tel;fax:        +1-(607)-777-4197
tel;home:       +1-(607)-770-9370