> I guess there must be something in V. 3 of Capital that explains
> all this.

The particular issue that I raised ("investment" of savings by
working-class families in the stock market) wasn't considered by Marx.
However, Part 5 of V3, in particular the sections on credit and fictitious
capital, might be of interest re the crash.*

Jerry

* you might also want to take a look at Engels' comments on the stock
  exchange in the "Supplement" to V3 (see pp. 1045-1047 in Penguin/Vintage
  edition). **

** [NB: for those who have not read _Capital_ before, they should read
   all of _Capital_ rather than jump to the "good stuff." Marx's advice
   to the "French public" is of note here].