> Date:          Wed, 12 Nov 1997 13:34:07 -0800 (PST)
> From:          Michael Perelman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Thank god fast track is stopped for now.  I was troubled by the framing of
> the debate.  I heard virtually nothing about the Naderite critique -- that
> the trade agreements gave a free hand to corporations to dismantle any
> social or environmental controls, such as the case with the tuna fishing
> and the Venezualan oil.
>
> Nor did I hear anything about the vast array of special deals tucked away
> in GATT or NAFTA.
>
> Were these issues brought up?  If not, why not?

Nader's groups and green issues were quite prominent in the process,
from where I sat.

The special deals were also discussed and as before tended to
undermine the credibility of the entire exercise, not least because
the Administration reneged on a number of deals it had made to
pass NAFTA.  Some Members were not ready to be suckered a
second time.

MBS

Max B. Sawicky            Economic Policy Institute
[EMAIL PROTECTED]          1660 L Street, NW
202-775-8810 (voice)      Ste. 1200
202-775-0819 (fax)        Washington, DC  20036
http://tap.epn.org/sawicky

Opinions above do not necessarily reflect the views
of anyone associated with the Economic Policy
Institute other than this writer.