> Date sent:      Wed, 5 Nov 1997 22:22:21 -0500 (EST)
> Send reply to:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> From:           Gil Skillman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To:             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject:        Postone on value form and capitalist production

> Skillman writes:
>

> I've just finished reading the chapter in Moishe Postone's _Time, Labor, and
> Social Domination_  that Rakesh recommended to me, and it strikes me that
> the point made above is emphatically borne out in Postone's (otherwise quite
> insightful and interesting) analysis:  his application of value analysis in
> understanding the development of capitalist production is based on a
> consistent fallacy, just as in Marx, leading to consistently misleading
> conclusions, just as in Marx.
>
> The fallacy, specifically a form of the fallacy of division, asserts itself
> early on.
> Postone's argument in Ch. 9, "The trajectory of production" is premised on
> the claim that "...the expansion of surplus value [is] the systemic goal of
> production in capitalism."
>
> Now, ascribing goals to *systems* rather than conscious beings, as Postone
> does here, is necessarily a dicey proposition, but in any case it is clear
> that *capitalists* direct production, not *capitalism*.  Capitalists want to
> make profits; Marx made this point in describing the circuit of capital
> M-C-M', and the fact that M' must on average be greater than M for this
> circuit to make sense depends not at all on whether the elements of the
> circuit are represented in terms of labor values.

I think you are correct that systems do not have "goals", individuals
do. But does it follow from this that capitalism can only be
understood in terms of the purposive action of individual
capitalists? Is it not better to say simply that the social structures
created by purposive capitalists act as constraints within
which they act?

Why do you say so casually that "no one has shown that
machinofacture makes direct
human labor superflous in the production of commodities - it just
changes the character of that labor"? Marx says as much in
the Grundrisse, as I showed in two previous missives. Here he writes
unequivocally that the application of science and technology  makes
direct labor superflous, and suggests that the ltv does not apply in
advanced capitalism.

ricardo