In a message dated 97-11-01 20:09:26 EST, (Doug, er, whoever) writes:

>Obviously an unemployment rate below 5% should help black workers a lot,
>but why are the bottom quintile of white households losing income (-4.3%
>between 1989 and 1996) while the bottom quintile of blacks (who are much
>poorer than whites in the bottom quintile) is up 5.2%. That's a difference
>of nearly 10 percentage points in just 7 years, which strikes me as pretty
>significant.
Just to throw an undocumented thought or two into the fray -- I have to
assume that a significant portion of the bottom quintile of black households
are headed by black women.  Could this increase come from: the fact that
women, particularly black women, are the only increasing demographic category
in union membership?  From the fact that black women are employed at a higher
rate than black men (so many of whom are in jail)?  From the increase in
minimum wage: minimum wage workers being more than 60% female?  From the
decrease in black teenage unemployment -- adding second incomes to these
households?

>I have to run & fill out my school application forms now.
Does LBO provide tuition refunds?

maggie coleman [EMAIL PROTECTED]