still plays a role. Who repairs and programs the machines? Isn't
supervision a kind of labor?<<

Ricardo Duchesne replies: >That's right. The question then is: if this is
the only role labor is playing, how can we continue to hold the ltv? The
only way out is to say that science and techonology represent past embodied
labor...<

isn't the repair and programming of machines a kind of labor that is
actively leading to the creation of commodities? It isn't that different
from running a 19th century spinning machine (the kind of thing Marx wrote
about). And of course science and technology can take the form of
"embodied" labor when they involve equipment, robots, etc.

capitalism tries to abolish the role of labor in producing value and
surplus-value. But it can't do so. So there is crisis. Absent the abolition
of capitalism and its replacement by something else, however, value
dominates, i.e., labor remains the source of societal  wealth...<<

Ricardo responds:>You are moving into Marx's theory of crisis, which is a
different issue.<

I don't think it's a different issue. In old Chuck's presentation of the
tendency for the rate of profit to fall, for example, the minimization of
the role of the value- and surplus-value-creating commodity (labor-power)
is crucial to the actual fall in the rate of profit, which he sees as bad
for capitalism even if it's not explicitly part of his (confused and
incomplete) crisis theory.

I'm not saying I agree with Marx's theory of the falling profit rate, but
the point is that crisis theory is _relevant_. It cannot be dismissed.
(This is always true for Marx: the various components of his thought cannot
be compartmentalized; each is relevant to all the others. Cf. Ollman's
ALIENATION book.) Also, the "crisis theory" I sketched suggested that
capitalism's dynamics undermines the incentive to mechanize all the way.

in pen-l solidarity,

Jim Devine   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://clawww.lmu.edu/1997F/ECON/jdevine.html
Econ. Dept., Loyola Marymount Univ.
7900 Loyola Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90045-8410 USA
310/338-2948 (daytime, during workweek); FAX: 310/338-1950
"The only trouble with capitalism is capitalists. They're too damned greedy."
-- Herbert Hoover