Browsing through my new 1998 Princeton University Press catalog, I
noticed an interesting blurb about a book by Gary King (Professor of
Government at Harvard) that claims to have solved the "ecological
inference problem", that is, the problem of reliably inferring
individual-level behavior from "aggregate (ecological) data".  The
blurb claims:

    Although many have attempted to make such cross-level inferences,
    scholars agree that all existing methods yield very inaccurate
    conclusions about the world.  In this volume, Gary King lays out
    a unique --- and reliable --- solution to this venerable problem.

This sounds fishy to me: has anybody heard anything about this?

Bill